Gülhane Park (“House of the Roses”) is a historic, urban park in the district of Eminönü, at the foot of Topkapi Palace. It is the oldest park and one of the largest in the city.
Formerly this place was part of the Outer Gardens of Topkapi and consisted essentially of a grove. In 1912 it was planned as a park and opened. Then, it had recreation areas, cafes, tennis and even a small zoo. More recently the park has been renovated, eliminating the zoo, the amusement and picnic areas looking for an increase of open spaces. The central pool was remodeled in a modern style and major concrete structures have been removed, so the Gülhane Park somehow recovered the landscape of the 50s, with trees dating back to the 1800s.
Here is also the new Museum of the History of Science and Technology in Islam, occupying the former stables of Topkapi.
This is an excellent place to relax and unwind after a long walk around the Sultanahmet historic center. The park is very well located and it seems like a timely pause, also ideal for the amusement of children. We also recommend visiting the museum.
Lower part of Tokpapi Palace.
Tram: To Gülhane, T1 line.
Archaeological Museums of Istanbul (214 m)
Topkapi Palace (259 m)
Haghia Sophia (569 m)
Basilica Cistern (649 m)
Spice Bazaar (960 m)